After a long wait, Gavin Cianci is looking forward to taking the stage and starring as Sam Carmichael in the Northern Light Theatre Company’s (NLTC) production of Mamma Mia!
According to Gavin, the Shedley holds a lot of sentimental value.
The first time I stepped out onto the stage was at the Shedley Theatre in the NLTC’s production of The Witches of Eastwick, almost 13 years ago… something I will never forget.
Gavin found his passion performing later in life when he was asked to audition for the show by his colleague’s partner Paula, another performer at the NLTC. This would be new territory for Gavin as his only acting experience was high school drama classes. However, he rose to the challenge as it sounded fun and he hasn’t looked back since.
“I always wanted to perform but I didn’t have the courage to have a crack,” he said. “The beauty of the NLTC is they give you the confidence to have a go, develop skills and then opportunities follow.”
Starting his performing career just shy of 40, Gavin is evidence that it is never too late to pursue a new passion. For Gavin, the NLTC has become a second family. “I have forged lifelong friendships through the NLTC, the relationships you build with your cast and crew are unbelievable.”
Gavin has shared his passion of the theatre with his two daughters who have both performed alongside him.
The bonds I have been able to develop with my daughters through our involvement in the NLTC together is very special to me, and it has supported us to overcome difficult times together as a family.
Life has come full circle for Gavin. He will be joined by Paula, who initially encouraged him to audition, in Mamma Mia! for the first time since his debut performance.
“There is so much excitement from cast and crew to be back,” said Gavin. The NLTC were due to perform at the Shedley in March 2020, however the program was post-ponded two days before opening night due to the pandemic.
Gavin describes Mamma Mia! as a fun, bright and colourful show. “It’s a fun show suitable for all ages. Children will enjoy the colour, energy and costumes, and adults will know all the music.”
The NLTC’s production of Mamma Mia! will run from Friday, 9 April to Saturday, 1 May at the Shedley Theatre. Purchase your tickets at theshedley.com.au.
This performance is subject to COVID-19 restrictions. Stay updated at northernlight.org.au.
- Amplifii Music Festival postponed but will announce a new datePublished 4 November 2022A new music festival to make a difference. A new music festival set to debut at Playford Tennis Centre with a new date to be announced after postponement.
- Last Chance to Nominate for Living Life to the Fullest AwardPublished 11 October 2022Nominations are soon closing for this year's Living Life to the Fullest Award. Scroll down to read full article.
- The ins and outs of vergesPublished 10 October 2022Verges are a hot topic and one of our most asked about services here at Council. We wanted to answer some of the most common questions that we get.
- Putting the play in PlayfordPublished 4 October 2022As part of Council’s commitment to building an active and connected community, this year we plan to build new parks, renew existing reserves and revamp recreation infrastructure all over the city.
- A change in the airPublished 30 September 2022Three new unisex changerooms will soon be completed at the X Convenience Oval in Elizabeth, as participation in women’s AFL continues to increase across Playford.
Subscribe for updates
I consent to City of Playford collecting and storing my data from this form.