After a long wait, Gavin Cianci is looking forward to taking the stage and starring as Sam Carmichael in the Northern Light Theatre Company’s (NLTC) production of Mamma Mia!
According to Gavin, the Shedley holds a lot of sentimental value.
The first time I stepped out onto the stage was at the Shedley Theatre in the NLTC’s production of The Witches of Eastwick, almost 13 years ago… something I will never forget.
Gavin found his passion performing later in life when he was asked to audition for the show by his colleague’s partner Paula, another performer at the NLTC. This would be new territory for Gavin as his only acting experience was high school drama classes. However, he rose to the challenge as it sounded fun and he hasn’t looked back since.
“I always wanted to perform but I didn’t have the courage to have a crack,” he said. “The beauty of the NLTC is they give you the confidence to have a go, develop skills and then opportunities follow.”
Starting his performing career just shy of 40, Gavin is evidence that it is never too late to pursue a new passion. For Gavin, the NLTC has become a second family. “I have forged lifelong friendships through the NLTC, the relationships you build with your cast and crew are unbelievable.”
Gavin has shared his passion of the theatre with his two daughters who have both performed alongside him.
The bonds I have been able to develop with my daughters through our involvement in the NLTC together is very special to me, and it has supported us to overcome difficult times together as a family.
Life has come full circle for Gavin. He will be joined by Paula, who initially encouraged him to audition, in Mamma Mia! for the first time since his debut performance.
“There is so much excitement from cast and crew to be back,” said Gavin. The NLTC were due to perform at the Shedley in March 2020, however the program was post-ponded two days before opening night due to the pandemic.
Gavin describes Mamma Mia! as a fun, bright and colourful show. “It’s a fun show suitable for all ages. Children will enjoy the colour, energy and costumes, and adults will know all the music.”
The NLTC’s production of Mamma Mia! will run from Friday, 9 April to Saturday, 1 May at the Shedley Theatre. Purchase your tickets at theshedley.com.au.
This performance is subject to COVID-19 restrictions. Stay updated at northernlight.org.au.
- Our ANZAC tradition with Pastor SellarsPublished 8 April 2021For Pastor Bryan Sellars of Northern Communities Hope Church (Churches of Christ) in Davoren Park there is something special about Playford.
- Building up HOPEPublished 22 March 2021Playford young people look to transform an outdoor concrete jungle into a colourful oasis at a local shopping centre in Davoren Park.
- Our rugby union communityPublished 25 February 2021Over the past five years the Elizabeth Rugby Union Football Club (ERUFC) has experienced significant growth as the Club has focused on rebuilding their junior sides with a commitment to creating an all-inclusive, family friendly club.
- Here I go again.Published 24 February 2021After a long wait, Gavin Cianci is looking forward to taking the stage and star as Sam Carmichael in the Northern Light Theatre Company’s (NLTC) production of Mamma Mia!
- A spotlight on inclusive artsPublished 23 February 2021Alirio Zavarce aims to create, advocate and bring a new perspective to the artistic landscape of theatre in Australia.AJZ Productions' latest enterprise, True Ability, has partnered with the Playford 10 initiative to help develop young people’s life skill capacity within local schools.