Awards and recognition
You’ll find on this page:
Australia Day Awards
The Australia Day Awards acknowledge the valued work and commitment of community members who give their time generously to help others and make a significant contribution to the city.
The Australia Day Awards are an opportunity to recognise an inspirational role model, group or initiative and sporting club of the Playford community.
Being recognised for an Australia Day Award is a great honour, paying tribute to someone who makes you proud to be Australian.
Nominations for the 2021 awards closed on Friday, 20 November and the winners were announced on Australia Day, Tuesday, 26 January, 2021.
Citizen of the Year:
For nominees aged 30 and over.
Young Citizen of the Year:
For nominees aged 29 and under.
Community Group or Initiative of the Year:
For nominees who solely or primarily support the Playford community. Community initiative may be a project, event or other initiative held entirely or primarily in Playford.
Sports Club of the Year:
For nominees that are solely located in the City of Playford (not including games and matches).
Individuals must be Australian citizens who live in the City of Playford.
Community groups or organisations must be based locally and primarily support the Playford community.
Groups and individuals are not eligible for nomination if they:
- have previously received an award in the same category (individuals), by the City of Playford, in the preceding 10 years (individuals)
- have previously received an award for the same initiative (groups), by the City of Playford, in the preceding 10 years (groups)
- are a sitting state or federal politician, current vice-regal officer or an Elected Member of Council
- a member of the City of Playford Civic Events Committee or a representative of a member organisation on the Committee
International Day of People with Disability Mayoral Awards
The International Day of People with Disability Mayoral Awards aim to honour and recognise the accomplishments of people with disability and individuals or organisations within City of Playford. Those nominated will have made an ongoing and significant contribution to improve the lives of people with disability and grow the Playford region as a truly inclusive community.
The Mayoral Awards are announced each year on International Day of People with Disability.
Recognises an individual with disability who, through exceptional effort and outstanding achievement, has improved outcomes for people with disability in the Playford area.
Recognises a business/employer who is making a positive contribution to the recruitment and employment of people with disability or an education/training provider who is utilising innovative approaches to facilitate lifelong learning opportunities for people with a disability in the Playford area.
Recognises the inclusive design or practices of a team, club, sporting event, recreation facility or recognising individual or group achievements in the Arts in the Playford area
Recognises excellence in delivering positive and efficient outcomes for people with disability by maximising choice and control, supporting innovation, or in providing communication and information systems that are accessible, reliable and responsive.
- People/person with disability who have made a noteworthy contribution during the current year and/or given outstanding and continuous service to the local community over a number of years.
- Person/Organisation who have made a significant contribution to people with disability during the current year and/or given outstanding and continuous service over a number of years. This contribution can be by means of design or inclusion practices.