Awards and recognition
You’ll find on this page:
Local Citizen of the Year Awards
Playford's Local Citizen of the Year Awards are an opportunity to recognise the outstanding achievements of a community member, group or initiative and sporting club who have made a difference in the Playford community.
Nominations for the 2024 Local Citizen of the Year Awards are now open and we are encouraging people in Playford to nominate someone for their contribution to the community.
You can nominate someone you know online here.
Or you can download this hard copy form and return to a location outlined.
Please check the selection and eligibility criteria below before completing your nomination.
We encourage people and groups from diverse backgrounds to nominate, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, those living with disability and individuals and communities from culturally diverse backgrounds.
Nominations for the 2024 Local Citizen of the Year awards close on 17 November 2023.
Citizen of the Year:
To be eligible, the person must be an Australian Citizen.
Young Citizen of the Year:
To be eligible, the person must be an Australian Citizen aged over 16 years and under 30 years of age on January 26, 2024.
Community Group or Initiative of the Year:
For nominees who solely or primarily support the Playford community. Community initiative may be a project, event or other initiative held entirely or primarily in the City of Playford. To be eligible, the person or group must be Australian Citizens.
Sports Club of the Year:
For nominees that are solely located in the City of Playford (not including games and matches).
Award for Active Citizenship (open to all including non-Playford residents and non-Australian citizens):
This award is for a person or group delivering outstanding work or for an event or cause, staged in the community during the past year.
Award for Young Active Citizenship (open to all under 30s including non-Playford residents and non-Australian citizens):
This award is for a young person or group delivering outstanding work or for an event or cause, staged in the community during the past year.
In choosing the recipients of the Local Citizen of the Year Awards, regard is given to the nominee’s achievements in the year immediately prior to receiving the award, as well as their past achievements and ongoing contribution to the community.
A nominee need only be nominated once to be considered. The number of nominations received per nominee bears no weight in their selection.
The selection criteria for Local Citizen of the Year and Local Young Citizen of the Year are:
- Significant contribution to the community, above and beyond employment duties
- An inspirational role model for the Australian community
- The scope of impact the individual’s contribution has on the local government area
The selection criteria for Community Group or Initiative are:
- The quality of the event
- The scope of impact the event has on the local government area
- The event’s contribution to the community
- The person must be an Australian Citizen (except for Award for Active Citizenship and Award for Young Active Citizenship)
- Awards will not be granted posthumously
- Self-nominations will not be accepted
- Nominees must be at least 16 years of age in the year of the award presentation
- Nominees for the category of Young Citizen of the Year must be 30 years of age or less on 26 January in the year of the award presentation
- Community groups or organisations must be based locally and primarily support the Playford community
- Groups and individuals are not eligible for nomination if they:
- have previously received an award in the same category (individuals), by the City of Playford, in the preceding 10 years (individuals)
- have previously received an award for the same initiative (groups), by the City of Playford, in the preceding 10 years (groups)
- are a sitting state or federal politician, current vice-regal officer or an Elected Member of Council
- Unsuccessful nominees may be re-nominated in subsequent years
- Absolutely NO weight is given to the number of times a person or organisation is nominated
- Councils may choose to re-submit nominations that do not receive an award for future consideration in subsequent years of the program
International Day of People with Disability Mayoral Awards
The International Day of People with Disability Mayoral Awards aim to honour and recognise the accomplishments of people with disability and individuals or organisations within City of Playford. Those nominated will have made an ongoing and significant contribution to improve the lives of people with disability and grow the Playford region as a truly inclusive community.
The Mayoral Awards are announced each year on International Day of People with Disability.
Recognises an individual with disability who, through exceptional effort and outstanding achievement, has improved outcomes for people with disability in the Playford area.
Recognises a business/employer who is making a positive contribution to the recruitment and employment of people with disability or an education/training provider who is utilising innovative approaches to facilitate lifelong learning opportunities for people with a disability in the Playford area.
Recognises the inclusive design or practices of a team, club, sporting event, recreation facility or recognising individual or group achievements in the Arts in the Playford area
Recognises excellence in delivering positive and efficient outcomes for people with disability by maximising choice and control, supporting innovation, or in providing communication and information systems that are accessible, reliable and responsive.
- People/person with disability who have made a noteworthy contribution during the current year and/or given outstanding and continuous service to the local community over a number of years.
- Person/Organisation who have made a significant contribution to people with disability during the current year and/or given outstanding and continuous service over a number of years. This contribution can be by means of design or inclusion practices.
Subscribe for updates
I consent to City of Playford collecting and storing my data from this form.