The largest ever investment in Australia’s defence capability is centred right here in Adelaide’s northern suburbs. Many of the world’s largest defence firms base their Australian operations on our doorstep. The City of Playford is an ideal base for suppliers looking to contribute to upcoming projects.
P-8A Poseidon Deep Maintenance Facility
Boeing Defence Australia are partnering with the Australian Department of Defence to develop a new $160 million P-8A Poseidon maintenance facility on the northern perimeter of RAAF Base Edinburgh.
Edinburgh Defence Precinct
Edinburgh Defence Precinct is a key national defence, research, manufacturing and sustainment hub. The Precinct is home to one of only two super bases nationwide – the Edinburgh Super Base, which hosts more than 3,700 ADF personel and 2,000 Australian Public Servants.
The precinct includes:
- RAAF Base Edinburgh
- Defence Science and Technology Group
- BAE Systems Australia
- Lockheed Martin Australia
- Airbus Group Australia Pacific
- Raytheon Australia
- CAE Australia
- Meggitt Training Systems
Greater Edinburgh Parks
With the potential to host over 37,000 jobs if fully developed, 1,600 hectares of land at Greater Edinburgh Parks (GEP) has been identified in South Australia’s State Planning Strategy as future employment lands. This represent 90% of future employment lands available in the Adelaide metropolitan region. Long-term planning at both state and local government levels recognises GEP as key to expanding SA’s defence capability.
Expanding the Edinburgh Defence Precinct provides a strategic advantage to SA’s defence capability, enabling:
- Potential controlled access and leveraging specialised defence related industries
- Superior transport connectivity via the North South Motorway and the Penfield Rail Intermodal
- Avoidance of conflict with non-industrial activities, protecting the long term strategic capabilities of RAAF Base Edinburgh
- Flat and affordable land
- 24/7 operation capability
- Large site availability immediately adjacent to RAAF Base Edinburgh.
Lionsgate Business Park
The Lionsgate Business Park is the former manufacturing site of General Motors Holden. The 123 hectare facility has been retained for manufacturing and is fast becoming a key part of South Australia’s defence ecosystem. With diverse heavily engineered buildings, an active security presence, gated perimeter, immediate proximity to the Edinburgh Defence Precinct and ease of access to other key precincts it makes an ideal location for expanding businesses of any size.
With parcels of land close to key infrastructure still available all across our City, the City of Playford is ready to work with you to help secure your ideal site.
Force personnel and 2,000
are based within the precinct.
A no-barriers approach
The City of Playford:
- is commercially focused – we have a track record of working in partnership with private and public developers to bring world-class facilities to our community and our state.
- has dedicated advocacy economic development and planning teams – to assist with realising your vision.
- takes a no-barriers approach – all major developments are assigned to a senior development officer.
- is actively stimulating the growth of the defence industry – through strategic activities such as our annual Defence Industry Day.
Find out more about the defence industry:
While every reasonable effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information, the City of Playford accepts no liability with respect to the accuracy or currency of data or information contained on this page. The information is not investment advice and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation and particular needs. You should seek independent and qualified professional advice.