Skip to main content

Traffic and Residential Parking

Residential Parking

Providing adequate parking access to everyone who lives, works and visits in a growing area Playford can be a challenge! This is especially true in new areas where on-street parking options may be limited.

When parking in your local area it is important to be considerate of other road users and make sure you abide by the Australian Road Rules at all times.

You can find our more information on the rules around safe parking in residential streets in the Parking Fact Sheet listed below.

On-Street Parking

Is Council able to limit on-street parking?

We don't really want to restrict on-street parking, as this can present problems for other residents or visitors.

There are some circumstances in which Council may consider limiting on-street parking, although not without careful consideration.

These include:

  • The street is considered narrow (less than 7m wide) and the resident has a narrow driveway (less than 3m wide)
  • There is an existing constraint next to the residents driveway (i.e. stobie pole, light pole)

If you are having parking challenges in your local area, please reach out to our Traffic team by emailing or phoning 8256 0333.

Can I request a yellow line be painted on my road?

As we mentioned above, restricting on-street parking is not a decision that will be made without careful consideration and wider community consultation.

If you are having parking challenges in your local area, please reach out to our Traffic team by emailing or phoning 8256 0333.

Is the on-street parking in front of my house reserved for me or my visitors?

Unfortunately, no. On-street parking is made available for public access.

So long as any relevant parking timeframes are adhered to, Council is unable to stop people parking in front of your house.

Is it illegal for someone to park opposite my driveway?

It isn't actually illegal to park opposite a driveway, only to block access to a property.

If you are having issues with vehicles parking across your driveway entrance and they are restricting access to your driveway, please don’t hesitate to contact Council on 8256 0333.

How can I report an illegally parked vehicle?

If a vehicle is parked illegally, please call Council on 8256 0333 with the vehicle’s location, registration, make, model and colour.

Depending on availability, we may send an inspector to the location where they may issue a parking expiation.

Alternatively, you can send an email with a photo and location to

Line Marking on Roads

What does the solid yellow line on my road on my road mean?

The solid yellow lines painted on the side of your local street or road indicate areas of parking restriction. If you want to avoid a parking expiation, it is best that you do not park in these areas unless there are exceptional circumstances such as a medical emergency, vehicle breakdown or you have been pulled over by police.

What does the dashed yellow line on my road on my road mean?

If you have a dashed yellow line painted on the side of your local street, be sure to check the parking signs, as these lines indicate areas of parking restrictions at certain times. You don't want to receive a parking expiation for parking at the wrong time, or creating safety issues.

Can I park next to the white line in the centre of my road?

When parking, you must always leave an allowance of 3 metres between your car and the centre white line.

The painted line on my road is very hard to see. How can I request a line be re-painted?

You can let us know about this by visiting Playford Online Services, phoning Customer Care on 8256 0333 or by sending an email to

Find out more about parking safety

Dangerous Driving and Traffic Monitoring

Persistent speeding and dangerous driving is not only frustrating, it can expose other road users and pedestrians to unnecessary risk.

How can I report dangerous driving to SAPOL?

Enforcement of the road rules is the responsibility of the SA Police and not Council.

If you witness someone driving dangerously in your area, such as speeding or hoon-driving behaviour, in the first instance you need to contact the South Australian Police (SAPOL) on 131 444.

All the necessary information on reporting dangerous driving is found on the SA Police website.

Can I request traffic calming devices on my street?

If there is persistent speeding in your local area, we can investigate your complaint by carrying out traffic surveys to determine speed and use in the road. Persistent speeding means that the majority of road users are travelling along the road at a speed higher than the speed limit.

The investigation would involve installing a traffic counting device in the area for a short time to detect passing vehicles and understand the volume of the problem.

Council can forward the information to SAPOL depending on the results.

If the results of the investigation demonstrate there is a persistent issue, Council will investigate measures to help manage traffic.

Significant community consultation will be undertaken with residents before any traffic calming measures are implemented.

How can I report dangerous motorbike activity in a reserve?

If you witness someone driving a motorbike dangerously in your area, or a nearby reserve, in the first instance you need to contact the South Australian Police (SAPOL) on 131 444.

Can barriers or bollards be installed to reduce motorbike activity in a reserve?

Restricting access to footpaths and open space is not Council's preferred option.

We want to ensure that all residents continue to have access to the facilities we provide, and barriers can limit access.

Abandoned Vehicles

Has a vehicle been parked in your street for a few days, or even weeks, and you’re not sure who owns it? It may have been abandoned – Council can help investigate!

Be aware if you know the owner of the vehicle or it’s registered to a local, the vehicle is not deemed abandoned.

How can I report an abandoned vehicle?

To make us aware of an abandoned vehicle, please contact Customer Care on 8256 0333 or email and let us know the:

  • Vehicle registration number
  • Model, make and colour
  • Approximate length of time vehicle has been parked
  • Location of the vehicle (ie, vicinity to a landmark, building, park, reserve, or house number adjacent.)
What if the vehicle is unregistered?

If a vehicle is unregistered, parked in a hazardous way or creates a danger to other road users, contact SA Police on 131 444.