Skip to main content

Building Notifications and Mandatory Inspections

Whatever the size or complexity level of your project, once your Development Application has been approved you're required to notify your Council of the progress of your development at mandatory stages.

You should carefully read the Decision Notification Form within the Development Approval, and where it specifies when you need to notify Council.

Who Can Notify Council?

Anyone associated with the Development Application can notify Council.

If you have engaged a builder, please check that the building contractor has notified Council. If not, you are able to provide notification direct to Council.

How Can I Notify Council?

To notify Council, simply login to your PlanSA account and submit the notification directly into the development application. If you are unable to login to a PlanSA account, email your notification to

When you do notify us, please include the following information as a minimum; if you fail to provide these details we will have to deem the notification incomplete and it will not be accepted:

  • the development application number
  • the site address
  • details of what stage has been reached
  • a contact name and number
  • the builders name, address, phone number and registration details

At What Stage of the Building Work do I Notify Council?

Check your Development Approval Decision Notification, which will specify when to submit a notification to Council.

Here's a glimpse at general notification stages:

  • Commencement of building work on the site
  • Completion of steelwork in any footing and before the concrete is placed
  • Completion of all roof framing
  • Completion of any firewall, and prior to lining
  • Completion of any masonry
  • Pool structure, pool-safety modifications and pool-safety barriers (see below)
  • Intended commencement of the installation of a designated building product and supervisor’s checklist
  • The completion of building work

When Can I Occupy my Property?

Notify Council once your development is complete — please note you may need to submit a Builder's Statement of Compliance at the completion of work.

Before your property can be occupied, you may need an approved Certificate of Occupancy; a Council Officer is able to issue the certificate if Council is the relevant authority granting your particular building rules consent.

For applications submitted prior to 19 March 2021

A Certificate of Occupancy is required for commercial buildings (building classification 2-9).

For applications submitted after 19 March 2021

A Certificate of Occupancy is required for all new buildings (and building work where applicable) approved and built under the Planning, Development and Infrastructure Act, excluding Class 10 structures such as sheds, carports, verandahs and the like.

How can I apply for a Certificate of Occupancy?

Once you have completed your development in accordance with your approved plans you are able to apply for a Certificate of Occupancy.

To do this, login to your PlanSA account and follow the steps outlined below in the Guide to Apply for Certificate of Occupancy.

A fee will apply.

You will receive an invoice for payment, with your Certificate of Occupancy only being provided once payment has been made.

What are the Penalties for Not Notifying Council at a Mandatory Notification Stage?

If you fail to notify Council at a mandatory notification stage, you will be considered guilty of an offence and may be liable to pay an expiation fee of up to $750, or be liable to a maximum penalty of up to $15,000.

Post launch web banner

The way you submit and track development applications has changed from 19 March 2021