Skip to main content

Street trees

You’ll find on this page:

Tree Requests

If you're eager to grow a beautiful new tree in front of your property, you'll need to lodge a request to Council.

How can I get a new tree planted out the front of my property?

Request a new tree online, by visiting Playford Online Services, phoning Customer Care on (08) 8256 0333 or by sending an email to, providing the following information:

  • Exact location of the proposed tree planting, address or landmark - be as specific as possible
  • Reason for the request
  • Your name, contact details and how you would like Council to contact you back

Our staff will inspect the location, existing trees and assess your request. The assessment will cover such issues as the possible impact of planting on any proposed footpath-paving program, location of services and the suitability of trees at your preferred location.

We will let you know either by telephone or in writing, of the outcome of the assessment.

If the proposal is approved, planting will occur during the more temperate months as this is best horticultural practice.

When will trees be planted?

The best time to plant street trees is between May and September when rain is most likely to help the tree grow. Requests for new or replacement street trees will be accepted through the summer months, but unfortunately due to the temperature, the trees will not be planted until the following planting season. Planting of trees may also be impacted by planned footpath or road programmed work.

Can I plant my own tree?

Unfortunately not, as residents are not permitted to plant their own tree on street verges that are maintained by Council, and we no longer provide free trees for residents to plant on their property.

Tree damage

A 'tree emergency' doesn't mean a tree is sick, a tree emergency is when a damaged street tree or park tree is posing a hazard by blocking or threatening the street or verge, and is putting our community safety at risk.

What is considered a street tree or park tree emergency?
  • A tree has fallen over
  • A large branch has fallen from a tree and is blocking a street or footpath
  • A tree, or part of a tree, located in a park or city property is failing or about to fall
  • A large branch is hanging from a tree and threatening to damage property or public safety
  • Any other immediate hazard situation on public property or verge
  • A tree blocking a driveway or preventing safe access for emergency services
  • If you feel it is an imminent risk of falling
What can I expect when I report a tree emergency?
  • Tree services will respond and inspect the emergency to make the situation safe
  • A follow up inspection and/or remedial action by tree crews will be carried out
  • Tree work will follow and the tree may be removed or subject to on-going maintenance or inspection
How can I report tree damage?

Report tree damage online, by visiting Playford Online Services, phoning Customer Care on (08) 8256 0333 or by sending an email to

In the event of a State declared emergency or severe weather event in which trees cause damage to your property and risk your personal safety, contact the South Australian Emergency Services (SES).