Skip to main content

Waste Management

Bin Collections

The City of Playford works alongside Northern Adelaide Waste Management Authority (NAWMA) to provide waste and recycling services to businesses and residents in Playford.

Visit the NAWMA website for information on bin collection days, which bin to use, reporting a missed bin collection, and organising new bins for your new home.

If you forget what bin week it is, or forget to put the bins out altogether, why not download the My Playford mobile app and set up bin date reminders.

My Playford mobile app can be downloaded for free on your iOS or Android mobile phone by searching “My Playford” in the App Store or Play Store.

Free Hard-Waste Collections

Residents in Playford can use two free at-call hard-waste pick ups, or hard-waste vouchers, per financial year to dispose their hard-waste items that they cannot place in kerbside bins.

Learn more about the types of items that can be picked up as part of hard-waste collection via the NAWMA website.

Book a hard-waste service or request a hard-waste voucher direct from NAWMA. Please note, home collections may take four to six weeks from the time of booking.

Illegal Dumping

The deliberate disposal of materials onto public or private land is known as illegal dumping, costing the City of Playford community approximately $1 million every year – it also causes environmental damage, while decreasing property value.

What are the penalties?

Illegal dumping is a criminal offence, with penalties of an up to $1,000 on-the-spot fine. For serious offences, dumping can attract fines of up to $120,000 or imprisonment for two years.

To submit a request to Council:

To report an issue or lodge a request for service:

Abandoned Trolleys

Abandoned shopping trolleys make our streets and public spaces look untidy, and can also create unsafe situations for motorists and pedestrians. Help keep our community looking tidy by returning shopping trolleys to the nearest trolley collection bay or report for collection using the methods below.

Disposing of Other Waste Items

Many items can be deposited at the Northern Adelaide Waste Management Authority (NAWMA)’s Resource Recovery Centre free of charge:

Visit NAWMA’s website for a full list. If you have standard household batteries lying around, these can be placed in a battery drop-off bucket at Council libraries.

E-waste, such as televisions and computers, can be disposed of at your local Bunnings or Officeworks stores.

Asbestos is a hazardous item that must be disposed of appropriately. Council takes inappropriate disposal of asbestos seriously, as it can pose a significant health risk to the community.

Green organics

Did you know all organic garden waste and food waste is composted when placed in your green bin?

The fortnightly green bin collection is processed by Peats into compost to be used at homes and on farms throughout South Australia. It is a great way to reduce the amount of material going to landfill and making sure your food waste goes to good use.

What goes in the green bin?

Just think ‘if it grows, it goes’. All garden prunings and cuttings, lawn clippings, twigs and leaves. Even food scraps, bones, tea leaves, coffee grounds, paper towel and tissues, cardboard pizza boxes and pet poop goes in your green bin. Learn more about what goes in and what stays out here.

I don’t have a green bin.

You can obtain a green bin (which comes with a convenient kitchen caddy) by contacting NAWMA on or calling 8259 2100.

Want to join the Fight against Food Waste? Click Here for more information about our Fight Food Waste initiative.

Tips to make it easy and mess free
  • By placing your food waste into a bowl, ice cream container or kitchen caddy lined with a paper towel or a newspaper
  • By purchasing and using compostable bags (though avoid those labelled “biodegradable” as they don’t break down appropriately)
  • Add a couple of handfuls of dead leaves into the bin to reduce smells