Skip to main content

Roads and Transport

Mini Skips and Shipping Containers

Where you place mini skips, waste bins and shipping containers is important — if they are placed incorrectly, they can pose a safety risk to the public or surrounding neighbours.

The City of Playford is committed to providing a safe environment for all residents, that is why you must apply for Council approval to use Council roads and lands before placing a skip or container there.

What documents are required to support my application?

In addition to a completed application form, you are required to provide the following:

  • Provision of road traffic signs and devices as required
  • Public liability insurance Certificate of Currency (minimum $20 million)
  • Detailed site plan showing all activity on the road and the proposed placement of the skip or container

Any damage to Council infrastructure caused by placement or removal of the skip or container is to be reinstated to Council’s satisfaction at the applicant's cost.

NB: applicants must allow at least five working days for the application to be approved.

Completed applications can be forwarded to the City of Playford via

Dangerous Driving and Traffic Monitoring

How can I report dangerous driving?

If you witness someone driving dangerously in your area, such as speeding or hoon-driving behaviour, in the first instance you need to contact the South Australian Police (SAPOL) on 131 444.

Enforcement of the road rules is the responsibility of the SA Police and not Council. All the necessary information on reporting dangerous driving is found on the SA Police website.

How can Council help?

If your road is experiencing persistent speeding and dangerous driving, we can investigate your complaint by carrying out traffic surveys to determine speed and use in the road. Council can forward the information to SAPOL depending on the results.

If the results of the investigation demonstrate there is a persistent issue, Council will investigate measures to help manage traffic. Significant community consultation will be undertaken with residents before any traffic measures are taken.

Over-Dimensional Load Permits

Council is responsible for assessing all requests for the transportation of over-dimensional vehicles on its roads and approving the route.

What vehicle types require permits?

The Heavy Vehicle National Law (HVNL) provides a list of the classes of heavy vehicles. The National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) facilitates the applications from start to finish.

How do I apply for a permit?

All applications for the movement of vehicles in these categories is managed by the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR). Applications can be made via their website. Costs of applications can be found at the NHVR portal fee schedule page below.

For further information contact NHVR on:


Phone: 1300 696 487

State Government Roads in Playford

Not all roads in Playford are maintained by Council. Some roads are the responsibility of the South Australian State Government and are managed by the SA Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure (DPTI) who look after the ongoing maintenance.

At the junction of a local road and a state road, ownership and traffic management is the responsibility of DPTI.

Information on DPTI managed roads in the City of Playford can be found in the FAQ below.

Report Damage

Playford's operational staff maintain and repair sealed and unsealed roads, as well as the road shoulders through road grading, pothole repair, surface patching, patrol grading, fire track maintenance and line marking. This team also repair and replace signs, including guideposts.

How to report damage to roads managed by Council

You can report a pothole or road defect on roads maintained by Council below. Each request is individually assessed then placed on a program of works based on the level of risk to public safety.

How to report damage to roads managed by the State Government

To report a pot hole or road defect on a road managed by the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure (DPTI) please contact the DPTI Traffic Control Centre on 1800 018 313. You can view the list of roads maintained by DPTI in Playford below.

To submit a request to Council:

To report an issue or lodge a request for service:

Property Addressing

In order for Australia Post, emergency services, and your friends and family to find your property, roads need to be allocated a name, which is then approved by Council before any clearance will be given to create allotments and titles. If you are unsure about the number and street name of your property’s address, you can contact the City of Playford.