The upcoming City of Playford Tennis International caps off a remarkable year for the new Playford Tennis Centre at Elizabeth East.
The Playford Tennis Centre will soon host its second Men’s Challenger and Women’s ITF Futures tournaments, from 31 December to 6 January, featuring players warming up for Melboune’s Australian Open.
Having started the year with a successful inaugural tennis international, 2018 saw local residents taking advantage of the high-quality facilities that now exist on their doorstep.
Operated by Tennis Gear Management and the home of the Playford Tennis Club, the centre had 450 registered players for the 2017/18 membership season that concluded in September.
That figure is expected to grow further, with Tennis Gear anticipating its membership numbers will rise to 600 players in the 2018/19 season.
By the numbers:
- 850: The coaching hours Playford City Tennis Centre staff will complete between October and Christmas.
- 280: Hours of primary school lessons will be completed in that same period.
- 2000: The number of young locals who will receive that training.
- 165: The number of registered players in one of SA’s strongest social tennis programs.
- 19: Teams have made the tennis centre their home.
- 350: The number of players at Playford every week.
- 10: Paid positions created at the Playford Tennis Centre in just 14 months (among them local staff).
- 22: The average age of those employed at the Playford Tennis Centre - jobs created for young people.
The City of Playford Tennis International hits off from Monday 31 December to Sunday 6 January, with players competing for $100,000 in sponsors’ prizemoney.
To learn more about the tournament and tennis programs offered at the Playford Tennis Centre, visit HERE or ring 8252 1900.