- It's time to nominate someone great!
The 2023 City of Playford Australia Day Awards are now open, giving our community the chance to nominate someone great!
The Australia Day Awards is the City of Playford’s premier award program and provides an opportunity to recognise individuals, groups, events and organisations that have made a significant contribution to our community.
Mayor Glenn Docherty said recognising the contribution people make to improve our city is important.
“Nominating a group or individual for an award is a chance to think about the people around us who go the extra mile to create a better community for everyone,” he said.
“We have many hardworking and talented people in Playford who go above and beyond, and it’s important to acknowledge that.”
The awards, which are announced on Australia Day in 2023, are open across several categories:
- Citizen of the Year – An Australian citizen living in the City of Playford who makes a significant contribution to the community
- Young Citizen of the Year – A young Australian citizen (between 16-30 years), living in the City of Playford who makes a significant contribution to the community
- Community Group or Initiative of the Year – An event, group or initiative held in the City of Playford that supports the community
- Sports Club of the Year – Clubs that are solely located in the City of Playford
- Active Citizenship – open to all, including non-Playford residents and non-Australian citizens delivering outstanding work, or for an event or cause, staged in the community during the past year
- Young Active Citizenship – open to people between 16-30 years, including non-Playford residents and non-Australian citizens delivering outstanding work, or for an event or cause, staged in the community during the past year
“The awards remind us of how great Playford people can be when we’re at our best,” said Mayor Docherty. “I encourage you to think about who plays an important part in your neighbourhood and put a nomination forward.”
2022 Australia Day Awards went to a diverse and generous selection of community members including; Citizen of the Year, Anthony Hill; Young Citizen of the Year, Bianca Nilsson; Community Group or Initiative of the Year, Elizabeth Vale Soccer Club; Sports Club of the Year, Playford Athletics Centre; Award for Active Citizenship, Ben Rowe and Award for Young Active Citizenship, Jessica Ferdinands.
Nominations close 2 December 2022 and eligibility and nomination forms are available at www.playford.sa.gov.au/awards. Hard copy nomination forms are also available at Council locations including the Playford Civic Centre, Grenville Centre, Wellbeing Hub, Stretton Centre Library and Elizabeth Rise.