- Land Revocation proposal | Main North Rd | What you need to know
The City of Playford has taken one step in the process of considering the land revocation of five allotments along Main North Road to create opportunities for development opportunities and enhanced open greenspaces, active landscaped areas and safer public pathways in line with the Playford Community Vision 2043.
Community consultation closed on 14 July, followed by Council's decision to apply to the Minister seeking approval to proceed with the land revocation process. The only decision Council has made is to apply to the Minister seeking approval to proceed with the land revocation process in line with the vision presented to the community.
The Council has not yet made a decision to revoke community land status. We are going to keep you informed along each step in the process and you will continue to have the opportunity to share your views.
For your Frequently Asked Questions see below.
- The only decision Council has made is to apply to the Minister seeking approval to proceed with the land revocation process in line with the vision presented to the community.
- The Council has not yet made a decision to revoke community land status.
- The Council has not yet made a decision on any development in the CBD or along the Main North Road land.
- We are preparing to approach the market with an Expression of Interest (EOI) process to determine market interest in line with Council’s vision.
- We are not approaching the market to sell individual allotments for just any purpose.
- We will now apply to the Minister seeking approval to proceed with the land revocation process.
- A letter will be prepared for the Minister that includes all information related to the proposed revocation including details on the community engagement process and outcomes.
- Next we commence the EOI process and approach the market with the Central development opportunity.
- The responses we receive to the EOI will be critical for Council in determining if and how it may proceed with the land revocation.
- No final decision on the land revocation will be made by Council until it has significantly more clarity on any development from the EOI process.
- The EOI process will help Council decide what it should do with the revocation process, if anything.
- Should the Minister approve the application, and with significant clarity from results of the EOI process, Council will need to make a final decision on whether to revoke the community land status.
- A vibrant CBD is a community aspiration in the Playford Community Vision 2043 and one of the things our community strongly supported.
- Council is reshaping the role of the Central Business District in Elizabeth.
- With a growing population expected to reach 132,000 by 2036, our community will be able to access and experience everything in one central location.
- A thriving mix of retail and commercial activity along with services, entertainment and experiences, public spaces and a more attractive and green entrance corridor, was one community aspiration.
- Elizabeth will be reinforced as a destination that supports and services residents in the broader Northern Adelaide catchment area.
- To provide an enhanced entrance statement into the city.
- To provide a greater, greener and safer connection between the Sports Precinct, Fremont Park and the CBD.
- We want to uplift the amenity along Main North Road and revitalise the open greenspace and provide active landscaped areas and public pathways.
- They will include opportunities for high quality commercial and residential developments at appropriate locations along Main North Rd which will create employment and economic activity as well as increased activation in the CBD.
Myth busting FAQs
- Preliminary master planning and financial modelling completed on the Main North Road allotments indicates that achieving the vision presented to the community would on balance be financially neutral.
- This means that on balance any proceeds from land sale and ongoing rates will be directed into the uplift of the open greenspace and development and maintenance of active landscaped areas and public pathways on Main North Road.
- Should Council be able to negotiate an outcome that provides a net benefit following delivery of the vision along Main North Road, lowering the overall debt is proposed as one appropriate use of remaining funds. This will ultimately be decided by Council.
- It is the CBD allotments will be utilised to pay back Council’s investment into the CBD.
- No, we want to uplift Main North Road, revitalise the open greenspace and provide active landscaped areas and public pathways.
- The opportunities for high quality commercial and residential developments will only be considered at appropriate locations along Main North Rd after careful review of traffic, stormwater and environmental impacts.
- These impacts cannot be assessed until EOI submissions outlining development proposals have been made.
- Council will retain full control of the decision making throughout the project timeline and will make the final decision of land to be retained or developed.
- Developers will be required to deliver development that is in line with the Council vision and a contractual agreement endorsed by Council.
- Council policy requires the achievement of zero net environmental loss.
- Any loss of tree canopy along Main North Road will be addressed by replanting within the nearby local area.
- Any proposal will be required to thoughtfully consider retention of significant and regulated trees.
We are listening
Council is committed to engaging with the community throughout this important project that assists in delivering the Playford Community Vision 2043.
At this point Council have not made the decision to revoke the community land status.
We are going to keep you informed along each step in the process and you will continue to have the opportunity to share your views.
- Email your contact details to email@example.com or call us on 8256 0333 and we will keep you up to date.
- Visit www.playford.engagementhub.com.au for project updates.