Food Safety & Complaints

Council’s Environmental Health Officers (EHOs) investigate reports relating to food safety in businesses in Playford in accordance to the South Australian Food Act (2001). Reports can relate to any of the following:

  • Food poisoning
  • Food handling or food safety concerns
  • Foreign matter found in food (i.e. glass, plastic, hair etc.)

If you have a complaint or concern, please call 8256 0333 or email us at: playford@playford.s If you suspect you experienced food poisoning from eating at a food business within the City of Playford, we suggest you seek medical help immediately.

Our EHOs will ask:

  • Where and when you purchased the food?
  • What food you ate?
  • When you ate the food?
  • What symptoms you had and when did they begin? 

To learn about food safety, visit  SA Health



Scores on Doors (Food Safety Rating Scheme)

In 2016, City of Playford introduced a Food Safety Rating Scheme called “Scores on Doors” for food businesses. It is our way of promoting a food businesses’ level of compliance of safe food handling practices and helps you make more informed choices about where you purchase food.

The Food Safety Rating Scheme was developed by SA Health in partnership with State and Local Government. Visit the Food Safety Rating Scheme for more information.




Food Safety & Your Business

There are over 500 food premises in City of Playford! Council promotes food safety and ensures compliance with legislation (the legislation is listed below) by:

  • Conducting routine food safety inspections
  • Food safety auditing for aged care and childcare businesses
  • Investigation of food complaints and food poisoning incidents
  • Providing information and education about safe food handling practices
  • Assisting SA Health with food recalls and food poisoning outbreak situations

For more information, had a read of our New Food Businesses FAQ(88 kb) or Information for Home Based Businesses(399 kb)

Your responsibility as a food business

All food business (including those that are home-based) must comply with:

It is requirement of the Food Act that all food businesses handling or selling food complete one of the following:




Food Inspections

City of Playford’s Environmental Health Officers (EHOs) conduct routine inspections on the following businesses:

  • Commercial food businesses
  • Home based food businesses
  • Temporary or mobile food businesses
  • Businesses that prepare food for vulnerable people (hospitals, child care facilities, aged care facilities etc.)
  • Events, markets, charities & community BBQs

The frequency of inspections is dependents on your food business classification under the South Australian Food Business Risk Classification, and:

  • the level of risk associated with the foods prepared by the business;
  • compliance history; and
  • food safety skills and knowledge of staff and proprietors.

Please note: All food businesses are charged a fee for food inspections as prescribed in the South Australia Food Regulations 2002 in line with City of Playfords Food Inspection Fee Policy.  Fee exceptions are given for Not for Profit and/or charitable organisations.

If you require further information please call an Environmental Health Officer on 8256 0333, email us at, or refer to the SA Health website.




Food Safety Training

Our Environmental Health Officers (EHOs) provide FREE food safety training sessions for food handlers that work within the council area. 

The training covers all aspects of what EHO’s look for during inspections and how food handlers can ensure they produce only safe and suitable food.  A free take-home workbook will be provded.

For session times please contact the Environmental Health Team on 8256 0333, email: Bookings are essential.

Also available is I’m Alert FREE Online Training this can help you and your staff develop basic skills for safe and suitable food production.




Safe Drinking Water

For businesses that supply non-mains drinking water to the public, they must:

The Act does not apply to domestic use of rainwater tanks or other private supplies. 

To access the registration form, standard risk management plans on Safe Drinking Water Supplies, visit SA Health.



Post: 12 Bishopstone Road, Davoren Park SA 5113 | Visit: Playford Civic Centre, 10 Playford Boulevard, Elizabeth
Decrease font sizeReset font sizeIncrease font size
a great place to live, work and play...