Smartphone Nature Photography
- Saturday 4th May at 10:00am - 12:30pm
- Para Wirra Conservation Park
- Arts and Culture, Environment, Nature, Relaxation, Talks and Workshops, Science and Technology
- Families, Men, Seniors, Women, Youth
Workshop Price (inc. booking fee) - $22.19
- Business / Organisation Name: National Parks SA
- Website: Visit
Bring along your smartphone to this photography workshop and see nature through a new lens. This is a creative and fun session that will get you moving and observing the world from a whole new perspective!
To celebrate National Parks South Australia's 'Park of the Month', we’re partnering a local expert with a photographer so you can learn more about the area you’ll be exploring before diving into the workshop. We’ll cover photographic concepts and theories before putting your new skills into practice at Para Wirra Conservation Park. Each participant with have a chance to spend 1:1 time with the instructor.
You will leave this class with a new skillset that will enable your creativity to soar and take better photos with your smartphone.
This class is great for anyone who would like learn about photography and how to get the most out of their phone while travelling, blogging or just appreciating the moments in everyday life.
No previous photography experience required. Parent/guardian to accompany children who attend.
The workshop will follow the Lizard Rock Hike (1.6km return, 45 mins). The hike is an enjoyable loop trail with easy grades and picturesque views across Wild Dog Creek valley. Explore the rock formations along the ridge and see if you can spot the Lizard Rock! Great for family groups. For safety, please supervise children near rocky outcrops.
Brought to you by the Adelaide and Mount Lofty Ranges Natural Resources Management Board.
What you will learn:
- Basic photographic concepts, including composition, phone basics, working with natural light and taking pictures of nature
- How to edit with your phone using the best free apps and achieve amazing images perfect for social networks
What you will get:
- 2.5 hours tuition, with time for 1:1 with instructor
- Handout on photographic tips
- Recommendations for free editing apps
What to bring:
- Fully charged phone with lots of free space to shoot photos
- Instagram account (recommended, but not essential)
- Pen and something to lean on to take notes
- Waterproof jacket
- Hiking boots, preferably with ankle support
- Long trousers or shorts
- Long sleeved light cotton or similar shirt
- Warm long sleeve top for stops or if the weather is cool
- Sun hat
- Sun glasses
- Sunscreen and insect repellent
- At least one, one litre water bottle
- Some snacks
- Small day pack
- Insect repellent
Meeting point: Lizard Rock Hike Trailhead, Gawler View car park, Para Wirra Drive.
Bookings: This workshop costs $22.19 (including booking fee)
Vehicle entry to Para Wirra Conservation Park will be free during May as Parks SA and City of Playford celebrates Park of the Month.
You are not required to purchase the vehicle entry fee to enter the park.
National Parks SA is running a great location-based competition during May's Para Wirra Park of the Month! Visit the park to go in the draw to win great prizes, including:
Judge's choice prize
- $100 voucher for the Scout Outdoor Centre + 12 month vehicle entry for multiple park pass (total value $190.00)
People's choice prize
- 12 month vehicle entry for multiple park pass (total value $90.00)
Parkapiki have used GPS technology to create a virtual boundary around the park. All you need to do is visit Para Wirra Conservation Park during May and when you’re there, open the competition page on your smart-phone or tablet, fill in the form and leave a creative comment about the park.
Don't worry if your out of mobile coverage, you can enter the competition by loading a digital photo you've taken in the park when you're back in range.
Para Wirra Conservation Park
- Sat30JanSTEM Hub: Robotics 101
Five Week Course! Get ready for the future with our intro session into Robotics- have you always wanted to create your own robot? Well here's a great place to start!
- Sat 30th Jan at 10:30am - 12:00pm
- Stretton Centre Library
- See Pricing
- Men, Women, Youth, Children
- Fri12FebBring your bills day with Uniting Communities
Uniting Communities will provide practical one-on-one support and advocation on your behalf (half-an-hour sessions available between 1 - 3pm).
- Fri 12th Feb at 1:00pm - 3:00pm
- Playford Civic Centre Library
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders, Families, Seniors, Youth, Community Organisations