SA History Festival: Author Talks with Martin Johnson: Twenty Houses: An anecdotal history of the building of South Para Reservoir 1948-58
- Tuesday 7th May at 12:00pm - 1:00pm
- Playford Civic Centre Library
- Arts and Culture, Community, Education, History, Libraries
- Men, Seniors, Women, Community Organisations
Join speaker and author Martin Johnson as he takes you back to the building of South Para Reservoir 1948-58.
The building of the South Para Reservoir was an accomplishment of engineering and an experience in different cultures working together for the first time. Join Martin Johnson who lived in the camp as he shares his stories about that time.
Martin spent his entire childhood living at the camp. Fascinated by the lives of the men and women, the mothers and the children growing up in this working-class environment, he was moved to capture their stories, in their own words, so modern society can gain a better understanding of the culture of the 1950s that went on to shape post war South Australia.
Martin Johnson will regale you with stories and poems from this book Twenty Houses: An anecdotal history of the building of South Para Reservoir 1948-1958.
Martin Johnson is a Gawler poet, writer, musician and event convenor.
*Martin Johnsons book will be available to purchase on the day.
Playford Civic Centre Library
- Sat04JulSchool Holidays Winter 2020: Recreate your favourite book cover competition
It's time to get creative with your favourite books!
- Sat 4th Jul at 9:00am - Sun 19th Jul at 9:00am
- Families, Youth
- Mon06JulSchool Holidays Winter 2020: Free craft bag (While stocks last)
Put your maker hat on and get crafty with this free craft bag available when you borrow a book from the library!
- Mon 6th Jul (all day) - Fri 17th Jul (all day)