SA History Festival: Author Talks with Martin Johnson: Twenty Houses: An anecdotal history of the building of South Para Reservoir 1948-58
- Tuesday 7th May at 12:00pm - 1:00pm
- Playford Civic Centre Library
- Arts and Culture, Community, Education, History, Libraries
- Men, Seniors, Women, Community Organisations
Join speaker and author Martin Johnson as he takes you back to the building of South Para Reservoir 1948-58.
The building of the South Para Reservoir was an accomplishment of engineering and an experience in different cultures working together for the first time. Join Martin Johnson who lived in the camp as he shares his stories about that time.
Martin spent his entire childhood living at the camp. Fascinated by the lives of the men and women, the mothers and the children growing up in this working-class environment, he was moved to capture their stories, in their own words, so modern society can gain a better understanding of the culture of the 1950s that went on to shape post war South Australia.
Martin Johnson will regale you with stories and poems from this book Twenty Houses: An anecdotal history of the building of South Para Reservoir 1948-1958.
Martin Johnson is a Gawler poet, writer, musician and event convenor.
*Martin Johnsons book will be available to purchase on the day.
Playford Civic Centre Library
- Sat10AprGrowing for Gold - April 2021
Come along and try a variety of sporting and recreation activities for free through your local sporting clubs – hopefully you’ll find something you love!
- Sat 10th Apr at 10:00am - Sun 25th Apr at 11:00am
- Families, Youth, Community Organisations, Children
- Thu22AprAutumn School Holidays: Create your own stick raft
A STEAM Craft project with the participants designing a raft made from sticks and trying to get them to float on water (Ages 8 +years).
- Thu 22nd Apr at 10:30am - 12:30pm
- Stretton Centre Library
- See Pricing
- Youth, Children