- **BOOKED OUT** Ranger-Guided Overnight Hike
**BOOKED OUT** Ranger-Guided Overnight Hike
- Saturday 18th May - Sunday 19th May (12:00pm to 12:00pm)
- Para Wirra Conservation Park
- Education, Environment, Fitness, Health, History, Nature
- Families, Men, Seniors, Women
- Business / Organisation Name: National Parks SA
- Website: Visit
Keen on an adventure? This Ranger-guided overnight hike could be for you!
Join Para Wirra Ranger Peter Hannon on a two-day hike through the magnificent Para Wirra Conservation Park. Starting on Saturday afternoon, enjoy a journey through southern section of the park, across Devils Nose and down to South Para River via the South Para Grand Hike.
Along the way you’ll learn about fire history in the park and enjoy scenery ranging from enclosed woodland to open rock outcrops with exceptional views of the South Para River and beyond. Overnight, enjoy a self-sufficient camping experience next to the South Para River in an exclusive section of the park that is usually closed to the public.
Day Two of the hike will cover the Barossa Goldfields section of the park. Following the Lady Pearce Walking Trail, the trek will pass mining relics from South Australia’s very own gold rush. The route also passes sections of the park where Rangers and Friends of Parks volunteers have worked tirelessly to restore grassy woodland ecosystems.
The hike will require a reasonable level of fitness and will serve as a great introduction for those looking to experience hiking and self-sufficient camping.
Remember to vote in the Federal Election before heading off on your hike.
What to bring
A detail kit list will be provided although you will need a:
- Hiking pack
- Lightweight tent
- 3-season sleeping bag
- Sleeping mat
- Lightweight cooking stove, fuel.
- Lunch and dinner for the first day and breakfast and lunch for the second day.
- Sturdy hiking boots
- A fully-charged smart phone with the Avenza Maps App.
Meeting point: Para Wirra Central
Bookings: This event is FULLY BOOKED.
Vehicle entry to Para Wirra Conservation Park will be free during May as Parks SA and City of Playford celebrates Park of the Month.
You are not required to purchase the vehicle entry fee to enter the park.
National Parks SA is running a great location-based competition during May's Para Wirra Park of the Month! Visit the park to go in the draw to win great prizes, including:
Judge's choice prize
- $100 voucher for the Scout Outdoor Centre + 12 month vehicle entry for multiple park pass (total value $190.00)
People's choice prize
- 12 month vehicle entry for multiple park pass (total value $90.00)
Parkapiki have used GPS technology to create a virtual boundary around the park. All you need to do is visit Para Wirra Conservation Park during May and when you’re there, open the competition page on your smart-phone or tablet, fill in the form and leave a creative comment about the park.
Don't worry if your out of mobile coverage, you can enter the competition by loading a digital photo you've taken in the park when you're back in range.
Para Wirra Conservation Park
- Fri16JunOne on One Tech | Civic Centre Library
Need help with just this one thing on your smartphone, laptop or computer? Come to our 30 minutes one on one session with a staff member.View event details
- Fri 9th Jun at 9:30am - 11:30am
- Playford Civic Centre Library
- Fri16JunStorytime | Stretton Centre Library
Join us for a fun themed Storytime session that includes stories, songs and a take home craft. Recommended for 2-5 yearsView event details
- Fri 9th Jun at 10:30am - 11:30am
- Stretton Centre Library